Tuesday, September 27, 2011

When a person says a certain wine tastes good, what exactly do they mean?

I drink wine on occasion but honestly, I can't seem to tell the difference. What makes a good wine good and what makes a bad wine bad?|||The bottom line with wine drinking is that if you like it, drink it.





A good wine is one you like...the more the gooder :)


A bad wine is one you don't like...the more the badder :)





Seriously, aside from actual problems with the wine...turning to vinegar, tasting like buttered monkey butt, and the like, what makes a wine good or bad is just how much it appeals to the drinker...YOU.





If you can't taste the difference much because you drink one kind one day and another kind another day, sometimes tasting a few kinds, as in a winery's wine tasting room, that can help point out the subtler differences. If you have no wineries nearby (though they seem to be springing up everywhere) you might have a wine bar. There, or even in some restaurants, they may serve "wine flights" which are generally 3 similar wines served as about half servings and all at the same time. They should also be able to point out particular qualities of each when they serve you. Having some cheese and crackers and other appetizer-y kinds of foods at the same time will help point out how each one "goes" with them...and whether or not you like one with this cheese and not that pate' and so on.





Half the fun is in the exploration and trying stuff out.|||that it is pleasing to the palat....that is why when you are tasting wines they have cheese and cracker that is to remove the taste of the other wine...also when the wait staff serves the wine they left the host taste the wine first (a little) that is to see if it is acceptable and also not sour...|||I am shocked that you can't tell the difference. There are huge differences in wine. Sweet-dry, red-white and a bunch of other factors. What makes it good is what tastes good to you. Don't let the snobs tell you that it is the same for everyone.





I like dry reds. I will drink dry white only if there are no reds around. I can't stand sweet wine. A lot of people really like sweet wine. Just because I drink wine and understand more about it doesn't make my taste in it any more valid.





I suggest that if you really want to find what you like, you attend a few tastings. Local wine shops or wineries often have them if you are in a state that permits it. You can try several varieties and figure out what tastes good to you.|||drink what u like-or not at all-cheese/crackers are snacks-Wine and water are only 2 beverages that don't spoil taste of food, and hot wings are too messy to eat at a tasting. As for difference-aside from taste-its price, i had expensive stuff that tastes soso to bad and cheap stuff thats good-all depends. Think its more noticable in champagne than red wine, more expensive is always better.|||its taste how long its ben aged how its been aged like what in all play a role in how good the wine will taste


good wine is just tasty and will not make you sick is not got no artifical flavors or anything like that


cheap wine is maddog irish rose this stuff will have you sick for days!|||As in all things, if you like it, then its good. You can chat it up with the best sommeliers in the world, talk all their costly snobbish knowledge on the subject, but if you don't honestly like it, then it sucks. That's that. Don't get caught up in all the hub-bub, ya know?!|||If a wine tastes good - that wine is enjoyable for that person to drink. Each person has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to the type of wine they like to drink.





I would recommend attending wine tastings, either at your local wine shop (if they host tastings, some better ones do), at wine festivals, or at local wineries (if you happen to be close to some). Ask questions when you are tasting - sometimes the proprietor is knowledgable and can tell you some of the things to look for when tasting the wine. This is most helpful.





For instance:





I prefer California Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley. My affinity for the wine probably had something to do with what I was eating at the time - along with every other wine that I've enjoyed. However, some people (my parents) don't like to drink Cabernet Sauvignon that are similar to the ones that are produced in Napa. The easiest way to describe their dislike is through my own taste sensations and words... so hopefully this makes sense. When I drink the wine and it hits my mouth, besides the high amount of alcohol I can normally smell while I am taking a drink, I get a stinging sensation or the sense of astringency near the back of my mouth on both sides of my tongue. These are also referred to as the wine's tannins - a quality that the grape skin can heighten when left with the juice when the grapes are crushed. These are one of the things that supposedly allow the wine to keep for years when stored properly. My parents do not like these qualities when they are drinking wine - the high alcohol content... the astringency... is unpleasant. However, I enjoy these types of wine with foods that possess some sort of fat or use oil in preparation. These fats/oils will soften/reduce these qualities in the wine. Also, over time the wine will lose these tannins naturally as it ages - how wine can get "better" with age.





I also have started to like other reds and white wines, but only by exposing myself through tastings and trial.





Additionally, I find that I enjoy sweeter wines with certain desserts or occasionally by themselves.





But as far as what makes a bottle of wine bad? That would be up to your tastes. However, if the wine was stored in a room where the temperature was above 80F, the wine can "cook" or the cork can dry out and air can get into the bottle. These conditions will change the way the wine will smell and taste. My tastes are not fully developed to tell the difference between flaws in different types of wine - but I can tell you to look out for wine that has rancid or vinegary-type odors when you drink it.





Hope this helps!





Enjoy!|||If you like the taste, then it is good for you, but may not be good for me. And that goes for everything, not just wine. Some people who drink Scotch swear by "Chivas Regal". I would go for Glenfiddich single malt any day. That does not make Chivas Regal bad. Similarly, in France, some people can't wait for the new Beaujolais to come out. But personally I prefer Bordeaux reds.


Again, some like well done steaks. Others like their steaks medium rare. Can you honestly say that one is better than the other ?|||it all comes down to personal preference, i only like very sweet white wines.|||A wine that tastes good to one person does not necessarily taste good to someone else. You should drink what you like and not worry if it is "good" to someone else.





If you do drink wine, you will also find that even your own taste in wines may change over the years. I know mine has.





Take note of the wines you like. If you wine tasting to wineries, they will usually let you take a paper copy of the wines tasted. I make notes on mine so I can remember which ones I liked or didn't like.





Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment