Friday, September 23, 2011

How can my yeast start making rice wine?

I am trying to make rice wine with 2 simple ingredients (steamed glutinous rice and yeast. It's been 2 weeks already and no wine have been made. I can definitely smell it but not a drop of wine visible. The grains seems dry to my perspective. Can it be be cause it is undercooked or that I used the traditional steamer instead of the rice cooker? How can I fix this and allow yeast to produce rice wine? |||First, you need real rice. Not the stuff you cook at home, but the stuff you plant to make more rice! Moisten the rice seed and allow the rice to germinate. This is the malting process. After malting the rice, pour into a large vat and add lots of water. Boil for an hour, then reduce heat to below 80 degrees. Add yeast and sugar (same amount as rice, measured before malting) and allow to ferment for 3 days. Increase heat to 160 degrees and distill into seperate container.

No comments:

Post a Comment