Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What kind of white wine is best to cook with?

Recommendations on what type of white wine to use for cooking in general and with chicken.





When a recipe calls for white wine is there a certain type in particular that is best to use?|||If a recipe calls for dry white wine, the best all-around choice is a quality American Sauvignon Blanc. This wine will be very dry and offer a fresh light herbal tilt that will enhance nearly any dish.





If the dish has bold or spicy flavors, go for a more aromatic white wine. Gewurztraminer, Riesling, and Viognier all have dynamic fruity flavors and exotic floral aromas that counterbalance heavily spiced dishes|||Any type of white wine would go fine with the chicken.





A wine added to a meal does not make a significant difference. After-all, while cooking, the alcohol is cooked out of the food, leaving only a small flavor in the food.|||IT IS A FOOLPROOF, I always buy the cheapest white wine that I use for my cooking. It will boil down to same thing|||Any dry white wine which is good enough to drink is good for cooking. I usually choose an inexpensive such as Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc, altho there is a just a touch of sweetness to it.|||FInd the cheapest white wine you can find....$1.99/bottle at trader Joes..


Never buy the expensive "cooking wine". They add a lot of soduim to it. You don't need that to prepare a delicious meal.|||Chardonnay is great because it has a mildly sweet base for flavor that doesn't cook out.|||I have to say that the golden rule I have when cooking with wine is to never us a cheap wine that I wouldn't drink. I mean, it kinda makes sense....if I wouldn't drink a wine because I don't like the taste then why would I like it when my chicken tastes of it?


I'm not saying you have to cook with an expensive wine or god forbid with cooking wine.


Most recipes call for 1 glass of wine max, so I say enjoy the rest of the bottle with the meal and the flavours don't clash :)|||Just don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink.|||with white wine thers not a big difference in flavor. but whatever you do only cook with wine you would drink. some "cooking" wines can make a meal taste funky.|||It depends on what you are cooking. For chicken marsala, use marsala wine, it imparts a particular flavor that the recipe is looking for. I love to use leftover Reisling in anything chicken baked, roasted, crockpot, sauces, gravies, etc.


Rule of thumb for cooking with wine is never cook with a wine that you wouldn't drink.


Rules are meant to be broken. I wouldn't drink a tablespoon of marsala, but I also wouldn't use a wine that I opened and deemed to be too dry or tart or bitter to drink just to use it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment