Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What kind of wine should I get to go with the mulling spice mix I'm giving my best friend for Christmas?

I'm trying to finish up the holiday shopping and I've hit a bit of a road block. I got my best friend and her husband a tin of Williams-Sonoma mulling spices. I know it makes great mulled wine (one of my professors hosted a gathering for one of my classes where it was served- yes, everyone there was at least 21, and no one drank much anyway) but other than "cheap red wine" I've got no idea what kind works best. I honestly know nothing about wine, so cheap and red doesn't help me much. So, to get to the point of this ramble, what kind of cheap, red wine works best for mulled wine? Thanks to anyone who can help me with this!|||Merlot or a dark SHIRAZ is good-





Try the FAT BASTARD brand- it has a cute little gold chubby hippo on the lable- and runs about $12.00 a bottle...





The name will bring a chuckle--unless you live in California---they have no sense of humor there- got looked at funny while asking for it in a few places while on vacation.....|||Hot apple cider is best . If you want to go to the next level try hard cider )|||I'd go with a Merlot or Pinot Noir.|||I would suggest something somewhat heavy, like a good cabernet sauvignon or a merlot. It will hold up to the added flavors of the spices and will not be overpowered!|||i would probably go with a nice shiraz/syrah. possibly a zinfandel. The spice mix would complement the spiceness of both wines.





Try Ravenswood, Yellow Tail, Bogle. You can find most at either Trader Joes or Cost Plus World Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment