Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How do I know my homemade wine is safe?

I've been making my own wines, and though none of them are quite ready to drink just yet, I'm wondering whether or not I should be afraid of food poisoning or anything. What is the percentage of alcohol content where bacteria can no longer survive in the wine? Most of mine are between 5 and 10% currently. I'm not using exactly professional tools and methods here but I've heard stories of people doing no more than leaving a bucket of grape juice out to ferment and having it come out fine.





I've looked around in various online resources but this topic is somewhat lacking in information. Maybe that's because it's not something to be afraid of at all, but I would still like to be reassured before I sample anything I've made. I like wine but not enough to be sent to the hospital over it! How do I know this stuff isn't going to kill me?|||Hey great hobby! I've been brewing for 20 years, and I have found out threw experiance that if a batch goes bad, you'll know it. Wait till the batch is done fermenting and aging, then check the color, smell, taste. If the wine went bad it will be sour to the smell and taste. Just throw it away. If it smells good and tastes good, no worries. There are hundreds of years old bottles of wine that cost thousands of dollars. As long as they're stored correctly, and don't spoil they're going to last for years. Enjoy!|||its all trial and error my friend. As you would already know yeast is a bacteria and the best way to kill the yeast cells is with potassium metobisulphate at the rate of around 25-35ppm. leaving in gassed (c02) vessel for several days do settle down will then deposit the majority of the dead bacteria cells to the bottom. rack out the juice and repeat the process 2 to 3 times should be beneficial, adding another 10ppm each movement. when you filter and bottle the wine add a final 10 ppm pre filter and cork or close immediately in a sterile bottle( sterility is the best way to avoid microbiological spoilage) lay down for a year a two, open and you will know straight away if the wine is spoilt by the smell and look of the wine. Good luck and enjoy!!!!|||the stuff is not likely going to kill you. if you read a book on how to make wine that would be a plus but as long as every thing you used to make wine ie jugs spoons and toppers were sterilized before you started you will be fine. i have made wine in garbage cans the bath tub plastic bags and pickle jars had some pretty mean hangovers but I'm still here. the trick is to follow the directions and make sure everything is very clean. you can find all the info you will need on the Internet free. last thought make sure the wine doesn't smell like vinegar if it does its no good. HAPPY BOOZIN|||be brave drink some yourself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and see how you feel the next day,,,,,,,,,,,,hey the stuff in the stores is much better!!!!|||well if you have used the right kind of yeast to produce alcohol then you should be just fine to drink it. Alcohol acts as a preservative to wine,beer and all other spirits. Your nose is a good tool as well to tell if spoilage is happening. rotten egg smells are causes of oxidation and over ripe fruit being used but can be fixed with chemicals and still have a drinkable wine. your taste buds should tell you as well if something is wrong. I would suggest you go online to Midwest supplies to the forum or even call them. they have a excellent group of people who will be more than happy to help you in your home brewing questions!|||Give a friend a glass and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment