Friday, September 16, 2011

How long is white wine good for cooking once opened and stored in the refrigerator?

I normally just use the wine specified as "cooking wine" but I've been told the regular (and even cheap) white wines taste better even in cooking. But, I wouldn't use a lot at a time, and worry it would go bad while in the refrigerator for lengths of time.|||First of all, don't buy cooking wine. It's nasty stuff and overpriced.





A sweet wine like port or cream sherry will last a long time in the cupboard for cooking. You don't need to refrigerate it. Nor does vermouth which are wines (used in mixed drinks like martinis and Manhattans. Both red and white vermouth are great for cooking.





With others I'm not sure of I just let them sit in the fridge until I get around to using them--months sometimes. I've never had one go bad for cooking in the fridge. I've also frozen left over wine in ice cube trays and used it later as part of a soup or the brazing liquid in a pot roast.





I know some cooks are a lot more fussy than I am about this sort of thing. But no one has run from my table yet. Truthfully, I don't drink wine because it causes me heartburn and I don't care if it's $40 a bottle. But I love cooking with wine. I try buy something that I'd drink if I could but not anything expensive.|||for about 2 or 3 days|||Wine will stay good in the fridge for probably months. I have red wine in mine from about 8 months ago.|||Rule of Thumb is, never cook with a Wine that you wouldn't drink, so if you're not big wine drinkers and rarely cook with it, may I suggest buying those little bottles of wine, sold in 4 or 6 packs and only open them when you need to. Hope this helps you out today, have a great weekend!|||If the question is asking how long would the wine stay GOOD.


I would say, 1 or 2 days only.





but





If the question is asking how long the wine can be stored (opened) and still be able to drink/cook.


I would say, never mind if it stays in the fridge, as long as you don't see floatings.





Remember, older the wine, better the taste. (Yes, Red wines) but the point is to have the alcohol vapourised.

No comments:

Post a Comment