Friday, September 23, 2011

What kind of wine would be produced if you washed the grapes prior to crushing them?

Grapes has a natural fermenting agent in the form of wild yeast. But I know that wine makers still uses other fermenting yeast with it to ferment grapes. I think it's so they can control the taste better. Anyway, so what kind of wine would you produce if you wash the grapes before you crush them? Would that washed away all the wild yeast that's present on the grapes?|||It would not matter; washing might remove the pesticides still left on the grapes. You would probably not wash off the yeasts. The wild yeasts are killed chemically so that the "correct" strain of yeast can be used for the fermentation.|||I think it would just lower the alcohol content. If they washed away all the yeast there would be no alcohol. But even if there was a little yeast.. they could multiply still. I think it would take longer to ferment. Kinda like yeast in bread, the more you add the sooner it will rise. The reason for them doing it I could only guess. What really defines alcohol content would be the amount of sugar present in the grape..or added.|||I have never made wine nor any one liquor. You should go to one of those places that let you try the different wines. They can answer all your questions. They are very experienced in this. I have gone to a couple of them. One of which was in california while I lived there and another close to Iowa by error. Was really wanting information on where a little city was but happened to run into this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment