Saturday, October 1, 2011

What type of dry white wine do you use to cook with? Where do you find it in the store?

I'm going way overboard with Martha Stewart' goose recipe. It call for 1/2 cup of dry white wine for gravy. I've never cooked with wine before and I know there's somebody that knows how. Please help, It's my first Thanksgiving without my mom and my sisters fiance. I want to do it right. I've never cooked for her before. Many thanks! |||Chardonnay


Sauvignon Blanc


Pinot Grigio (Pinot Gris)


(among others)





DON't use Reisling ... that's sweet! Dry means NOT sweet.





Don't use vermouth, either. It's useful for cooking but if a recipe specifically says "dry white wine" it won't taste right if you use something different.





Where to find it? Depends. Does your grocery store sell wine? Some do, some don't. If yours doesn't, go to a liquor store.





Also, don't use that nasty stuff called "cooking wine" ... it's just salty acid. Don't cook with it if you wouldn't drink it.|||A good rule of thumb for cooking with wine is to use a wine that tastes good when drank - you are intensifying the flavor when you cook with it, so if you like drinking it, you will like cooking with it too. If you are not a wine drinker, your best bet is to ask someone that works in the alcohol department at the store (or a wine shop if you have one close by, but you should hurry, since its getting so close to Thanksgiving now.)





Good luck!





|||In the liquor department. Aim for a dry white wine. It has to be drinkable but not expensive. Ask the department manager for guidance.|||A Pinot Grigio or a Reisling will work.|||I always use Vermouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment